March 13, 2020
On Thursday, March 12, 2020, Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced that in order to slow the spread of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan, she is ordering the closure of all K-12 school buildings, public, private, and boarding, to students starting Monday, March 16, 2020 until Sunday, April 5, 2020. School buildings are scheduled to reopen on Monday, April 6. As of the date of this letter, we do not know if the school year will need to be extended in June.
We’ve compiled a short list of information to help guide you and your student(s) through the closure.
· The Mather Elementary Office and the Middle/High School Office will remain open Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 20, and Monday, March 23 through Friday, March 27 from 11:00am to 1:00pm each day. You can also leave a voicemail at Mather at 906-387-2103, extension 1132, or at the Middle/High School at 906-387-2103, extension 2102, and someone will return your call.
· Free lunch by pick-up will be provided March 16 through March 27, Monday through Friday, from noon to 1:00pm at the Middle/High School office. Lunch may be picked up for any student 18 years of age and younger who resides in our district. The free lunch program will not extend through the regularly scheduled spring break (March 30 through April 3). The lunch will include a sandwich, fruit, vegetable and milk. In order to help us estimate how many lunches to prepare each day, please try and call 906-387-2103, extension 2193 and leave a message as to how many lunches you will be picking up. You are not required to call, however, to receive the free lunch. Eh! Burger is also offering lunch to students over the closure for $1.00.
· M-Packs for each weekend may be picked up at the Middle/High School on Friday, March 20, and Friday, March 27, from noon to 1:00pm, for students who qualify.
· The Governor has ordered a school closure, and there is no requirement that K-12 schools provide online coursework for their students. We have asked all students to bring as much work home as possible, however, and complete that over the break. Students already enrolled in online courses or online college courses can continue those from home. Many elementary teachers have prepared packets of work for their students to take home.
· Both school buildings will be closed for use by students and community groups during the closure. No athletic practices, open gyms, weightlifting, etc., will be allowed. Students will be allowed to come in if they need to get a book or assignment out of their locker during the closure. They would need to come in between 11:00am and 1:00pm each day.
· As of now, all school events over the closure period have been cancelled. We will continue to monitor the Governor’s guidelines for large gatherings as we make decisions on future events. Please monitor the Munising Public Schools website at www.munisingschools.com or Munising Public Schools Facebook page for updates and the most current information on cancellations.
We appreciate your patience and support during this unprecedented time for our students, schools and country. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 906-387-2103, extension 2104, or on my cell phone at 906-202-0727.